When acquiring a job, the goal is not only giving service but also gaining experience and learnings from clients. Likewise, working for a job acceptance and retaining it is crucial work. Before actualizing a profession takes tons of professionalism, skills, courses, and lectures. With the growing beauty industry, a laser hair removal technician is one of the most in-demand professions today. If you are an aspiring laser hair removal, here is everything you have to know about the profession and the other requirements to attain a license and pass the course!
What is Laser Hair Removal?
Before knowing what a Laser Hair Removal Technician does, let us first define what Laser Hair Removal is. LHR is a medical cosmetic procedure using a laser or concentrated beam of light to demolish hair follicles to eliminate hair growth in most body parts. However, Laser Hair Removal only delays hair growth for a long time, but the hair will eventually regrow. That is why you may need a series of treatments to achieve optimal results. Additionally, Laser Hair Removal is safe and efficient for all skin types if appropriate laser devices and methods are utilized.
What is the job of a Laser Hair Removal Technician?
A Laser Hair Removal Technician does not only do a Laser Hair Removal treatment but also examines your client’s suitability for the procedure. In this phase, you must assess their medical history and decide how to proceed appropriately. If you are also a licensed esthetician, you may also provide other services like microdermabrasion, facials, and other skincare treatments. Other essential responsibilities are prepping, sanitizing, setting up, and maintaining clean stations and equipment.
You must also be ready to retain your acquired knowledge from taking a Laser Hair Removal Technician course because your clients may come to you with their questions, misconceptions, and concerns.
Before becoming a Laser Hair Removal Technician, you must pass the first level of licensing, and you can do this by taking a course. In Texas, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation approved the study and met the necessary training to execute the Laser Hair Removal process as a Certified Laser Hair Removal Technician-Apprentice-In-Training.
The course is Hybrid, a combination of self-paced online and in-person practice certification that gives the hands-on practice of Laser Hair Removal processes. Students are provided with comprehensive course materials and access to extensive online videos and training. The course has forty hours in total, with 24 hours of self-paced online lectures, including chapter skills assessments, and 16 hours of in-person practice.
To complete the course, you must:
- Score at least 70% on the final examination (passing mark).
- Attend 95% of total course hours.
Main Skills Needed
In being an aspiring Laser Hair Removal Technician, you must be knowledgeable about the primary skills you must acquire, and these are the following:
- Skin Layer Anatomy
- State Rules and Regulation of Laser Hair Removal
- Laser Safety Officer
- Client consultation and qualification
- Settings and Protocols
- Pre and post-treatment considerations
- Laser Hair Removal Application
- Post-treatment complications
- Best Practice Considerations
Although anyone hardworking and persistent enough can take a Laser Hair Removal Technician course, there are specific admission requirements you should follow, and these are:
- Students must have attained GED, high school diploma, or equivalent.
- The minimum age is at least 18 years at the admission date.
- The student is proficient in English and/or Spanish for Spanish-instructed courses.
Moreover, the tuition price depends on the institute you are admitted. But to give an overview, it can range from $995-$2,000.
Working Environments for Laser Hair Removal Technicians
Laser Hair Removal is becoming a booming business, offering various career opportunities in different working environments. You can choose from the following:
- Doctor’s Office: This opportunity is available only in some states as they require laser technicians under medical professionals’ supervision. So some of them also operate out of doctors’ offices.
- Spas: Spas also offer Laser Hair Removal treatments like salons. However, they focus more on a broader range of services using more advanced equipment and techniques.
- Plastic Surgery Facilities: Several Plastic Surgery Facilities also offer a Laser Hair Removal service.
- Ophthalmology Centers: Some eye treatments use similar lasers used in skincare treatments, so some ophthalmologists operate out of laser, hair, and skin medical offices.
- Salons: Like in the case of working in a doctor’s office, some states allow laser technicians to work in salons with cosmetologists, estheticians, stylists, and makeup artists.
- Dermatology Offices: Laser hair removal is a branch of esthetics, and several need to be licensed estheticians, so dermatology offices are perfectly suitable.
What is the salary for a Laser Hair Removal Technician?
In data from 2018, the Bureau of Labor Statistics considers laser hair technicians as “skincare specialists”; they also earn a median salary of $15.05 per hour or $31,290 yearly. However, in June 2019, Payscale’s salary information stated salary specifically for Laser Hair Removal Technicians who earn $15.82 per hour or $40,695 yearly.
What makes an excellent Laser Hair Removal Technician?
According to beauty schools, you must have the equipment and commanding knowledge of the process and techniques of laser hair removal. It is also an advantage if you show confidence and mastery of your knowledge and skills. For a customer to trust you, it must manifest how expert you are with your work. Furthermore, you must be personable and have the manner of getting people comfortable during the actual procedure.
You must also be neat, meticulous, and persistent in maintaining a clean and sterilized working space. Remember that you will meet long working hours mostly spent standing on your feet.
If you know you’ll love being a Laser Hair Removal Technician, enroll in a Laser Hair Removal Technician course at La Vida Aesthetics Institute, LLC, where you will get a supportive, productive, and caring community with a positive impact on your learning experience!
Achieve your dreams today by contacting the best aesthetics institute in Houston, Texas, USA!